Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Expanding on worm fishing

I mentioned earlier how the only rig I use is the Texas Rig, but what I failed to mention is what knot I would use, the different types of weights, and why I use these items.

The reason that I prefer to use the Texas Rig over the other types of rigs, would be that it keeps the worm in an upright position. Now I will tell you how to Texas Rig a worm.

First you add a bullet weight to the line with the top facing the rod tip. Then I use a trilene knot to tie the hook to the line (the reason I use the trilene knot is because it is extremely durable an if done properly nearly impossible to be yanked off by a fish, because I am sure that has happened to more than a few of you).



Second you stick the end of the hook through the head of the worm for about a half inch. Then you push the hook out of the worm and push the hooked portion of the worm to the indention at the top of the hook.



Finally you push the hook into the middle of the worm and and leave it in the worm. What I mean by that is leave the hook in the body of the worm. By leaving the hook in the worm, it makes your rig weedless and you get a better feel of the bass when it bites.



Regular Weight
Now you see the type of weight used in these pictures, that is one type of weight that you can use. I recommend this sinker because there are a couple ways to use it. One way is to put a toothpick in the bottom of the weight so that you can adjust where you want it to be. The other is crimping the top of the weight with some pliers.

Pros- The weight can be moved wherever you want.
Cons- The toothpick will get wet and soggy, and most likely start sliding. If you crimp it, you have to dispose of it when you are done. If you used a toothpick than you can reuse these, but you have to drill the toothpick out.

Screw-in Weights
The other type of weight to use is the tungsten screw-in weight. This one doesn't use a toothpick or need to be crimped. This one (as the name suggests) screws into the head of the worm.

Pros- The weight stays in a constant spot and is reusable.
Cons- The screw in weight will tear up the head of your worm and you will have to keep replacing your worm. To me one of the worst things about this type of weight is the price. It costs approximately $1.25 per weight. Now that might not seem like much but trust me it really adds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment