Saturday, March 14, 2009

How to Catch Crappie, Mr. Crappie Style

I got a Mr. Crappie fishing video this past Christmas and so far I haven't really been able to crappie fish but when I do, I think all of his tips and techniques will help me pull in more crappie. The DVD that I have is called Crappie Secrets Uncovered II and I think that it is highly accurate in the art of catching crappie. I will give you a summary of the video in these next few paragraphs.

Fishing for Crappie in Standing Timber
I learned that you can fish with a 10' or 12' rod when crappie fishing, and it is better to use Mr. Crappie Line-Super Vis, so that if a crappie comes up from beneath it, you will be able to see the line go slack and yank the rod, to set the hook. If you use a 10' rod, than basically you can pitch it where you see a fish and basically not even have to reel. You can just throw the bait in the water and let it sink until a crappie bites it, then you just pull the fish out of the water, and you can can set the bait anywhere that is in
your reach. I've also learned that the fist thing you want to look for if you are fishing for crappie in submerged trees, that you should look for slanted trees or trees that are at an angle. Those are supposed to be full of big crappie.

Fishing for Crappie on Bridges
One of the advantages to fishing bridges would be that you can fish them and catch fish year round. The crappie love to suspend on the concrete bridge pilings that are in 20 or 25 foot of water, so if you get parallel to them then you have a good chance of catching you a big old slab. I learned that unless you want to spook the fish you should cut off your main motor and use your trolling motor until you get to the area you want to fish.

Crankbaiting for Crappie?
I know that most of you average fisherman out there are wondering if it's possible to catch crappie on a crankbait, well that's what I thought until I watched this little segment. On the video Wally Marshall trolls the crankbaits and to me that just takes away the fun because Darren The Average Fisherman and I fish catch-and-release style. There isn't much to tell about this segment he basically rigs 'em up and trolls. If you want to get more details on it buy the DVD.


Fishing for Crappie in Brush Piles
On this segment, Wally Marshall fishes for crappie on giant submerged brush piles. On his first cast he caught a huge female white crappie. Most of the bigger crappie were hanging out on the outside of the brush pile, and the littler crappie were hanging out on top of the brush pile. What he does is he pitches it to the side of the brush pile and bring it over the top of the brush pile and let it hang off that other side.


No comments:

Post a Comment